窪蹋勛圖厙

Skip to content

Fort Good Hope chief hopeful that COVID-19 outbreak can be overcome in a couple of weeks

As Fort Good Hope is besieged by COVID-19 cases, Chief Tommy Kakfwi offered an encouraging message on Aug. 18.
26202833_web1_210628-NNO-mountain-FGH_1
In an update provided to 窪蹋勛圖厙 on Aug. 18, Fort Good Hope Chief Tommy Kakfwi feels that, if work continues smoothly amid an outbreak of COVID-19, things should be looking normal in a couple of weeks. 窪蹋勛圖厙 file photo.

As Fort Good Hope is besieged by COVID-19 cases, Chief Tommy Kakfwi offered an encouraging message on Aug. 18.

We do have a command post with an awesome crew to implement some of the tasks here in town to bring comfort to those that are restricted and isolated to their homes, he said. So we provide home delivery, we have food being delivered to them and medical staff, even though theyre short staffed, they are available to accommodate the emergencies as they arise.

The community of close to 500 residents had 64 confirmed cases of the virus as of Aug. 18, with most of the infected individuals being symptomatic, according to the chief.

At the time Kakfwi made his statements, 262 COVID-19 rapid tests had been conducted locally.

Weve been put on priority list to confirm those tests, he said, noting that the results come from Stanton Territorial Hospital in Yellowknife.

Kakfwi was optimistic that his community could conquer the viral outbreak.

If everybody continues to cooperate the way theyre doing right now thats every individual in the community and the work carries on smoothly, we can overcome all this and see the light of day by, Im saying a couple of weeks, he predicted. Thats my projection, based on the awesome performance of everybody thats here in the community and the cooperation were getting.